‘THE 2017 AIPP AUSTRALIAN PHOTOGRAPHIC BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD’
THE WINNER RECEIVES A TROPHY, $1000 CASH & ENTRY INTO APPA 2018
This category is designed to celebrate and showcase photography in a printed publication where the photographs are the primary carrier of the communiqué.
Judges will be asked to above all consider whether the photography is fit for the purpose of the book. This award is designed to first and foremost recognise the photography in the book, but due consideration will also be given to the visual narrative presented in the book, along with its layout, design, typography, production values and packaging.
CATEGORY RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
• The book must have been published in the previous two years but the images may have been taken at any time, and may include “found/historical” photographs which are not the work of the entrant. Such “found/historical” photographs are acceptable where these images are used as reference or supporting material for the primary photography in the book, which must otherwise be 100% the work of the photographer.
• With appropriate permissions, any member of the production team including the photographer, designer, publisher or then printer may submit a book for entry.
• Books can include text, typography, graphics and other design elements that enhance or complement the visual narrative.
• Entries must have a connection with Australia (photographer, publisher, printer or content).
• Print-to-order and limited print run books are acceptable. The book can be entered by either the photographer or the publisher. An ISBN number is not required.
• Judging will be by a panel of five, which may including photographers, designers, publishers and booksellers.
• Due to the nature of the judging process, it may not be open to the public.
• Books will be scored and are eligible for Silver and Gold Awards but entrants are not eligible for the Australian Professional Photographer of the Year award. These awards will not accrue merit points.
• The seeding and qualifying requirements do not apply to enter the photography book competition.
• Books will be returned, but note they may suffer from handling during judging, packaging and freighting. The AIPP and its sponsors will not accept responsibility for loss or damage to any book, no matter how caused, and by entering the Awards, the entrant agrees not to seek recompense from the AIPP or its sponsors in the event of loss or any damage.
• Book entries from overseas entrants will not be returned - this is purely a logistical issue.
HOW TO ENTER
Entry Fee is $58 for AIPP members and $99 for non-AIPP members. The seeding and qualifying requirements required for other APPA categories do not apply to the Book Award however entrants must email firstname.lastname@example.org before 28 July to get a login that gives access to online entry form.
After APPA confirms your login details, enter online at www.aippawards.com. Upload a cover image of your book, 3000 pixels on the longest side, 300ppi, Adobe RGB (not greyscale or sRGB) saved as JPEG setting 12. The filename MUST use the following format - your state, year, surname, first name initial and book title, using letters, numbers, hyphens and underscores only e.g. Qld2017-BlogsJ-MyBook.jpg
Print out a copy of the Book identification labels and address labels and place the Book identification label inside the front cover of the physical book.
Send a physical copy of the to the entry address by 5.00pm Wednesday 16th August 2017. Please ensure that the book is suitably packaged for transit to and from the Awards.