There are many challenges working as a professional photographer. It can be a somewhat solitary existence and difficult to put your work into perspective within the Australian and world market. How good is your photography? Is it of professional standard? Is it above professional standard? Do you need to improve? Can you be rewarded for producing award winning images?
Entering APPA provides you with many answers. It’s not a perfect system, but it’s the best of its kind in the world. By submitting three or four of your images, you can challenge yourself and receive independent, authoritative feedback about your work.
While all photographers aim to win the AIPP Australian Professional Photographers of the Year Award, APPA is designed to appeal to photographers at all levels.
- First time entrants can aim to earn at least one Silver Award
- Use your Silver and Gold Award certificates in your studio and market your success to your clients.
- If earning one Silver is easy, can you earn four Silvers in one year? Or maybe an elusive Gold Award?
- And don’t forget to aim for one of the many category awards and prizes!
- APP Accredited Professional Photographers can strive for your Associateship by earning five award points in four years
- Earned your Associateship already? The next step is Master of Photography.
- Of course, not every print wins an award. Many are returned with scores lower than 80 and these prints should be reviewed carefully.
Why didn't they reach the standard?
I remember entering a print in 1988 and getting just 74. I couldn’t understand why the score was so low, yet some five years later when cleaning out my studio, I looked at the print again. My score of 74 was exactly right. My photography had improved over the years and I was too close to the print at the time I entered it.
APPA can be frustrating and exhilarating, but the education it provides is priceless. To get the most out of it, you should try to attend the judging in person, and you should definitely never give up. Every successful APPA entrant has had prints that didn’t meet the grade, but perseverence pays great dividends.
We look forward to seeing you at the next APPA!
Peter Eastway APP.L GM Photog., Hon. FAIPP, Hon. FNZIPP, FAIPP
Former APPA Chairman